Friday, July 17, 2009

Yes!

Crazybaby says, "Ya," to every question she is asked. We've been having a lot of fun with it. "Crazybaby, are you hungry?"
"Ya."
"Do you have an appetite for camembert and a nice Pinot Gris?"
"Ya."
"Would you prefer to dine outdoors?"
"Ya."

Yesterday we invited a sweet little girlfriend of Pip's over to play, and I noticed quickly that she used the word, 'Yes,' instead of 'Ya.' It sounded lovely, and a little foreign. With some degree of disappointment I realized that Pip used 'Ya,' instead of 'Yes,' except when she said, "Yes please." In fact, when I listened to myself and my husband throughout the afternoon, I found we rarely used the word 'Yes.' Bummer.

We sometimes forget the power of modeling. Our kids pick up on everything we say, and copy it. Crazybaby and Pip are little mimics at the moment, so we should be more conscious of the language we're using.

When our little guest's mother came to pick her up I complimented her daughter's lovely manners and also the way she uses the word, "Yes," so nicely. The mother laughed and shook her head, "I know...we don't use it! I'm not sure where she gets it."

That made me feel a bit better, but I'm still inspired to use 'Yes' more often. As of today, I'm on a YES-MISSION. Watch out family.


3 comments:

  1. I'm on a "pardon-me?" mission. Ruthie says "hmmmmmmmmmmm?" a lot and I know exactly where she gets it from! ME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be worse....I've heard a few 'HUH?'s in my time...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chatty Cathy in ComoxJuly 17, 2009 at 11:36 PM

    Carly picks up her make believe phone (a tooth fairy box at the moment) and cocks her head to one side and goes, "Uh-huh, Uh-huh, Oh my god, Hmmmmm, Uh-huh, Okay, Yup, Gotta run, See ya soon Baboon" And yes, I know she gets that from me and I love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete