Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Bathroom banter

"A child can go only so far in life without potty training. It is not mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty trained, not to mention nearly half of the nation's state legislators.
Dave Barry

Pip has done relatively well with toilet-training, but she often waits until the last possible moment before she acknowledges that she has to use the washroom. She's usually so involved in her activities that she doesn't want to waste the time on eliminating waste! We've tried to make the whole experience more fun for her, but she sometimes leaves it until it's too late.

Yesterday I heard a cry from Pip's bedroom, "Maaaammmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" I could tell it was the pee-cry. I ran into her bedroom to find her doubled over with her legs twisted tightly together and her hands at her crotch. "I can't walk Maaammmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" Oh, so dramatic.

I picked Pip up, took her into the bathroom and sat her on the toilet. There was a spot of urine the size of a tooney on her underpants, so it wasn't a complete catastrophe.

"Pip, when you have to go to the bathroom, you don't just sit in your bedroom and cry..."
"But I wasn't sitting in my bedroom and crying."
"What were you doing?"
"I was standing."
"Oh. Well honey, you're just leaving it too late. You've got to listen to your body."
"Mama, I was listening to my body."
"Sweetie, if you were listening to your body, you would have come to the toilet earlier."
"But Mama I was listening to my body."
"And what was your body saying?"
"My body was saying it wanted to pee in my underpants."

Hard to argue with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment